View Single Post
Old 10th February 2013, 12:06 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is a fantastic item Gene, and quite frankly, any regimental regalia of these Indian cavalry units is outstanding in itself. These regiments of the British Raj are probably the most colorful and rich in history of all, and years ago were my collecting passion (read obsession!).

As you have noted, the Frontier Force units were indeed legendary, and Sam Browne was the very fiber of the type of men in these units. The uniforms and regalia worn by these units' officers was amazing, and the crossbelts were often resplendant with hallmarked silver mounts, prickers for thier percussion pistols, and the brass unit emblems were the most addicting (and rare) collectibles ever!

As I have mentioned here before, I once was most honored to visit the late Brigadier Francis Ingall, author of his autobiography "Last of the Bengal Lancers" at his home near San Francisco. As a young cavalry officer he led one of the last mounted cavalry charges in the early 1930s on plains in the Khyber district on the Northwest Frontier. He had been with the 13th Bengal Lancers (Watsons Horse), and I was able to handle his swords and see some of his memorabilia. Over the mantle of his fireplace was a beautiful portrait of his faithful charger 'Eagerheart', and the Brigadier looked wistfully at it from time to time as he recalled amazing tales from the frontier there. It was something I will never forget.
I will also never forget winning two lances in an auction in London, and picking these up at air freight/customs in Los Angeles, and driving them home down the 405 freeway with these out the T-top of my Corvette...much to the curiosity of several Highway Patrol officers!!

For anyone interesting in more on the pageantry of these colorful and amazing regiments, I would recommend:

"An Assemblage of Indian Cavalry Uniforms", Chater Paul Chater.

"The Armies of India" Major G.F.MacMunn, London C.F.Black 1911
reprinted numerous times

"An Assemblage of Indian Army Soldiers and Uniforms"
Michael Glover, 1973

"Indian Cavalry Regiments" A.H. Bowling, Almark, 1971

For the adventurous, "Punjab Frontier Force" R. North, 1934, would be worth trying to find.

Thank you for sharing this magnificent item Gene, and any item of regimentally marked 'kit' from the regiments of the British Raj is in my opinion profoundly pertinant. Nicely done!!

All the very best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote