View Single Post
Old 17th December 2013, 01:45 AM   #15
neekee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G
Three points:-

Isn't this sword in its scabbard the wrong way round? Does it enter the scabbard both ways? I know nothing of French swords, but this seems unusual.

I have always understood that in 1914 British cavalry had their swords sharpened before embarking for France and officers were instructed to sharpen theirs. It is sometimes quoted, as evidence of the stupidity of the military, that in 1939 officers were again ordered to "sharpen their swords".

I would not discount use of the sword in colonial wars or peacekeeping operations prior to WW2 if you really want the macabre explanation of the "crosses".

Regards
Richard
Thank you for your post Richard. I just tried and the sword can indeed enter the scabbard both ways, without any forcing. I never thought about it to be honest ...

Interesting fact about the sharpening instructions. I will check on the other sabres we got from my great grand father who fought in both wars. They are kept at another relative's place.

Fascinating post Jim. I particularly liked the numeric sequence symbolic part. I am in the process of choosing a design to engrave on the pommel of a medieval sword replica I own and it got me thinking. Oh, the knowledge in this world ~

About the fascination Western Europe once had with dueling, and just to add a bit of my own perspective, it is indeed pretty hard to understand by modern's standards. I am no expert, but think it can be traced back to Knightly ideals, which evolved into this high conception of Honour with a capital H and prevailed as a true gentleman's highest value for centuries in European culture, not dying completely until the 20th century. A man is nothing without honour is something that comes back often in epic tales and stories from these centuries, and while today it may seem silly that a wealthy, educated man in his prime would prefer death in a duel from dishonour, I think it gives great highlight on the mentality of those times, how much they meant what they said (and thus possibly not only on that aspect) and how much our civilization has changed. The symbol of the gentleman warrior, living by a code and protecting his honour with his sword, is also one of the aspects that links European and Japanese cultures, in my opinion.

Cheers ~
neekee is offline   Reply With Quote