View Single Post
Old 17th March 2019, 01:21 AM   #5
motan

Hi Corrado26,
I agree with Ariel and A.Alnakkas. It is Lebanese. The hilt from a single round piece of horn, the thin ferrule that connects the hilt and the blade and guard, or guard-like piece with the pointy middle that fits in the groove of the hilt are 100% Lebanese, and most probably from the Jezzine area.
It is not very old, but I see no reason to assume that it is recent. To me, it looks more like it has been cleaned with too much enthusiasm.
I also see a mix with Syrian elements - the blade looks Syrian and similar to some that of Majdali daggers of the round handle type. The scabbard also looks Syrian, but the point is a general Ottoman feature.
I have seen mixes of Lebanese and Syrian styles before and that should not be surprising. The separation of Syria and Lebanon as countries dates to the French mandate. Majdal Shams and Jezzine are not much further apart than a day's march on foot. It is known that many inhabitants of Majdal worked in the timber industry in Lebanon and had many contacts there.
Anyway, it is a very nice piece and I would't mind having it myself.
I added pictures of two daggers that are not similar to yours, but show a similar mixture of styles.
Attached Images

motan is offline   Reply With Quote