Thread: Manchu quiver
View Single Post
Old 20th January 2019, 03:34 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While apparently the reference to Peter Dekker was well placed and seems to have satisfied the OP, as the thread has stopped here, but I wanted to add some information for those readers who might have interest in knowing more on this topic. Indeed, Peter Dekker is an outstanding reference as what I was able to find was from his work, and I will try to add a synopsis here.

This very interesting quiver is as noted, a Manchu form, but distinctly with Tibetan influence. According to LaRocca (2006, p.172) this crossed strap form quiver was earliest known as Tibetan/Mongolian of 15th-17th c. Mongolia had profound presence in Tibet until 1720s when driven out with Qing assistance.
(to clarify Qing and Manchu refer to the same dynasty).

The Qianlong Emperor (1736-96) of the Qing dynasty was apparently a devout Tibetan Buddist, and was profoundly influenced by Tibetan arms forms, often having his forces using weapons with this influence. It appears these style quivers were of a form used by his bodyguards and probably in the famed troops known as Bannermen.
As I understand some of the devices seen on this example, the 'vase' with halberds indicates a level of high rank, three the highest attainable.
The 'five bats' represent the five blessings.

These Manchu style arms were likely continued with the succeeding Jiaqing emperor (r. 1796-1820) and Daoguang emperor (1820-1850).

While this example quiver appears to be with the potential for courtly use with the Emperors guards, it seems possible that similar types might have been used by other elite Manchu forces.
As I had mentioned there were Manchu garrisons in border regions of China adjacent to Tibet; Sichuan, Yunnan and Qinghai during the 18th c.

I hope this might simply add some information to this thread before it goes into the archives.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote