View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2015, 08:42 AM   #6
colin henshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
Of course you are both correct that it easily could be of the earlier (Rev War) period. If so, it might correctly be more identified as a true naval piece if used by an American sailor. Government vs. private purchase for the Americans during this period was redundant. All of the pieces would have been primitive, blacksmith-made and crude. Colin, this truly is a great piece that breathes character! I often think of crude cutlasses as 'folk art' in nature, no two being alike.

374S in Neumann's is very similar, as is 380S. I love Neumann's book, but will caution that when it was written, some of the forms might have been mis-classified by date. For instance, 377S, noted as Rev War period, is actually a documented form from the War of 1812. The Raleigh History Museum has one in their collection that is well-attributed to that later period. I've also seem many of the 'sheet guard types' such as 376S being post 1800.
Thanks Mark, for the very helpful information. Glad you like the sword. I also notice that the sheet iron guard on my example is somewhat wider at the pommel, than on the cutlasses shown in the Neumann book. I guess its impossible to be sure about exact origins without a clear provenance.

Regards.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote