View Single Post
Old 19th January 2017, 09:45 PM   #1
dana_w

Default 18th Miquelet Lock Shotgun, Catalonian Maker Info Needed

I am photographing this Spanish Musket for WeaponsCollector.com today. The makers mark on the barrel appears to be that of Joan (Juan) Prat. I've found this unattributed information on-line.

Joan (Juan) Prat, a Basque gunsmith, was active circa 1780 in Ripoll, in Gerona province in the eastern Spanish Pyrenees, 20 miles south of the French border.

The Prat family is mentioned in Dr. James D. Lavin's A History of Spanish Firearms on page 274:

Prats, M. , A Ripoll lockmaker active during the final quarter of the seventeenth century. His mark together with the date 1686 appears on the battery of a three-barrelled gun in the Museo Arqueolégico Nacional, Madrid (6417). The family of Prats or Prat manufactured locks and barrels in Ripoll until the middle of the eighteenth century.

Several Prats are listed in Diccionario Biografico de Artistas de Cataluna, desde la epoca romana hasta nuestros dias (Biographical Dictionary of Artists of Catalonia, from Roman times to the present day) by J. F. Rafols, (1951), see attached images. I don’t speak Spanish and have yet to pass these listing by Google Translate.

I'd appreciate any additional information or clarification on Joan Prat and the Prat family.
Attached Images

Last edited by dana_w; 20th January 2017 at 07:02 PM.
dana_w is offline   Reply With Quote