View Single Post
Old 21st August 2017, 09:05 AM   #3
Iain

Mail and quilted armour was introduced into Kano during the rule of sarki kanajeji (1390-1410) so it is safe to assume it was already in use in Sudan and Kanem-Bornu in the 14th century as the materials were coming from Egypt.

The 14th century is also a safe enough bet for swords, although the exact form would be somewhat different to the later more tribal kaskara form. Rather being Malmuk straight swords with iron pommels.

Certainly some kaskara of the form we recognize under that name are from the 18th century I think and in general I am of the opinion the metal hilt style is older (although it is not always a reliable indicator of age in extant examples!)

You won't find any solid documentation I'm afraid, although Ethiopian iconography and murals show cruciform hilted swords of the same style from 18th century (see attached) and I'm aware of at least one Mamluk sword (or at leas a sword in nearly identical style to a 14th or 15th century Mamluk piece) in an Ethiopian monastery, apparently formerly owned by an emperor.

Mamluk Egypt themselves of course made use of Mediterranean trade network which included European blades. The flow of these materials into the African interior was then something of a logical progression particularly from kingdoms with economic ties to Egypt.

Regarding arms dealers moving weaponry to Mamluk Egypt and the Ottomans, there are many cases as well as movements to the rest of the North African coast in violation of papal bans. See Rogers J.Michael. To and Fro. Aspects of Mediterranean Trade and consumption in the 15th and 16th Centuries for some examples.
Attached Images

Iain is offline   Reply With Quote