View Single Post
Old 10th June 2009, 05:01 AM   #10
A. G. Maisey

Ferry, the limits of photography , most especially photography done by those of us who are not professional photographers, and the images that are viewed on a computer screen are that the colour seen cannot be other than a fair repesentation at best, and something completely different at worst.

Additionally, a very slight difference in angle can alter perception of reality in the published image.

The indicators that we use to classify a keris within the tangguh system rely upon an absolutely accurate rendering of colour and often minute differences in size, colour, texture and angle.

If I am unable to see the true colour of the blade, something that can really only be done in good daylight, and if I cannot feel the texture of the blade, I am not really able to comment upon the nature of the material.

If I cannot alter my angle of viewing the blade, I cannot comment upon such things as the declination of the ganja to the wilah.

If I cannot examine the erosion of weld joints I cannot confirm what an arms length viewing might suggest.

As for dhapur, I rather suspect that you already know that.

I would like to suggest that we can never reach a conclusion in respect of any tangguh. The very nature of the exercise precludes that. It may be possible to come to agreement in respect of an opinion, but even so, the end result must always remain an opinion.

I feel that I have probably contributed as much as I am able to this discussion.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote