View Single Post
Old 19th December 2022, 04:02 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default US M1913 PATTON repurposed to fighting knives

In the beginnings of WWII, before the famed Fairburn/Sykes knives in 1941 , there were no US fighting knives officially in place.
Apparently the stockpiles of the M1913 swords in arsenals were part of a government release of unused or 'scrap' steel, and a number of innovative makers decided to develop their own fighting knife conversions from the old swords.

While having heard of this years ago, and envisioning the huge bowl hilt and a shorter blade as such, it seems the blade typically was cut down into three sections, and honed into separate knives with varying hilt styles fashioned by them.
The most known seems to be the 'Anderson' by Tom Anderson of Glendale, Calif. who used an innovation injection molded plastic handle (ANDERSON/GLENDALE one side USA other).

Another was the San Antonio Iron Works version, which had a black bakelite handle with brass horsehead.

Not sure if others, but these are what I have found so far. These are highly collectible, hard to find and accordingly, pricey.

It seems that the 'Patton' sword, though mostly made at Springfield, had a contract to LF & C for 93,000 from 1917-18.......most of these (as my example shown) are marked 1918 or 1919. It is unclear how many were completed as obviously the war ended 1918.....but mine marked 1919 suggests they continued production.

"Knives of the US Military WWII", Michael Silvey, has one of the first image on p.222.

Typically I would resist entering WWII militaria on these forums, however the reason for bringing these up is that it illustrates perhaps the reason for the relative scarcity of the M1913 Patton swords as I posted in OP.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 19th December 2022 at 05:06 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote