View Single Post
Old 11th February 2022, 02:13 PM   #7
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

There are a few features that lead me to think that this Burmese style knife may be from a little further north. Several groups in NE India utilize similar knives. Some of their blades may be obtained from Burma and, perhaps surprisingly, from HuSa in southern Yunnan. The preference is sometimes for heavier blades, as on this one.

The ivory scales (they have to be elephant ivory), pinned over a full tang, are distinctly not from traditional Burmese, Thai, or Lao sources. The relatively short, narrow tangs of swords and knives from these groups would not accommodate pins such as on the example here. There are, however, examples of hilt scales pinned over full tangs that come from Southern Yunnan.

The sheath does not really resemble traditional mainland SE Asian work, but would fit better with some NE Indian groups, especially the copper wire wrapping. The sheath might post date the manufacture of the knife.

Overall, a bit of a mystery knife having elements of different cultures. Knowing that some of the NE Indian tribal groups traded for knives from the south, I think this piece was used in the north. I would estimate its age as early 20th C, but it could be older depending on use and storage.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote