View Single Post
Old 25th January 2016, 02:24 PM   #14
Lee
EAAF Staff

Red face A correction and some additional information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakethetrees
Another thought I had about its origin. In the family is a U.S. Naval Officer's sword, correct?
Check the back carefully near where the guard meets the blade. The manufacturer and date should be etched there.
I got confused with what my friend had told me; there is a Civil War sword descended in the family, but the naval officer apparently served in the Spanish American War time frame. I will get further details.

Because the blade looked 'French' to me, I had carefully searched for the usual script engraving along the back spine near the grip, but there was no trace. It may have been obliterated by rust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfberth
I cant be sure the stamps are not clear enough
My lighting unfortunately does not do a great job with the marks. Holding a LED flashlight close disclosed the 'star over W within shield stamp' fairly clearly. I will see about getting someone to hold the flashlight while I try a close-up and that should provide a clear image of that mark.

Continuing my correction about the incorrect family connection I provided above with some additional information:

1. My friend's grandfather (whose barn the cutlass came from) was an officer during WWI, apparently leading a unit staffed by black soldiers, that very likely fought in Europe and apparently he had brought home souvenirs of that conflict including a Luger pistol and a pickelhaube helmet.

2. The same gentleman, for a time, also had a seasonal home in Camden, South Carolina and brought back furniture and other items from that residence to Pennsylvania.

3. The sword was not hidden in the barn when my friend encountered it as a child, but there with a lot of other interesting old stuff.

4. The level of corrosion is fairly aggressive towards the tip.

I realize this information supports at least three of the theories suggested above...
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote