View Single Post
Old 24th January 2016, 06:29 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Ulfberth, you are most welcome, and thank you as always for responding to me personally. I am always grateful for your courtesy.
As has been noted your identification is spot on. While Haiti may have ceased officially as a French colony in 1805, the French presence certainly did not disappear. The note was mostly to relate the distinct French type of the sword and the sans guard condition toward machete type arms in use in tropical regions. Actually, 'machetes' developed prominently in Spanish colonial areas of New Spain from many 'espada ancha' frontier swords.

While no swords were imported in volume or record for the 'cause' in the period of the War of 1812, the entry of French arms through normal trade or other interaction in many ports of call cannot be discounted. As always, these arms as with other kinds of implements easily became surplus items which were of course recycled for utilitarian use.

I recall years ago when a broadsword with simple crossguard was found in Canada, and excited media hype claimed a medieval broadsword probably from the time of the Crusades. It turned out to be a Sudanese kaskara which had been once in the basement of a British soldier who had served in the Sudan and later moved to Canada.
In another case in New York, a sword was excavated and archaeologists proclaimed it to be a Roman gladius.......it turned out to be a U.S. M1833 foot artillery sword!

Many 'finds' in long static conditions such as garages, attics and barns of particularly out of context items do not necessarily secure provenance as part of its working life, but simply after the fact 'collected' status.

Our family once lived in a location which had been the site of an AAF base (it was about 1956) and my brother and I, adventurous young boys actually 'found' an old practice 500 pounder bomb partially buried in a field.
As it was empty (of course) we both carried the large piece through neighborhoods on the way home (to the dismay of many residents!).
While our parents were stunned, they let us keep this thing until dad finally put it in the attic.
When we moved and arrived states away my brother and I noted the 'bomb' was not among the things unloaded. Dad had 'forgotten' it, still in that attic.
I would have loved to see the faces of the new owners as they went into the attic!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote