View Single Post
Old 24th January 2016, 04:27 PM   #8
Shakethetrees

These are some of he most wonderfully balanced edged weapons out there.

I got one many years ago from an antique dealer dated from the 1830's and, without getting into the subtleties of fighting styles, for basic defense when you need something that is perfect for down and dirty hacking and visual intimidation, you'd be hard pressed to find another that is superior!

Check the back carefully near where the guard meets the blade. The manufacturer and date should be etched there.

Another thought I had about its origin. In the family is a U.S. Naval Officer's sword, correct? The U.S. was in Haiti in 1915, and again in 1919-1920.

While Haiti was not a French Colony after about 1805 and was somewhat of a pariah country during the 19th century, I would think these cutlasses would have been available on the open market in the late 19th/early 20th for use as agricultural tools.

It will take some time, but it is possible to acquire the Naval Officer's service record, revealing his past service entitlements.

A shot in the dark, but a possibility of uncovering pay dirt!

This model was never imported for use by either side during the Civil War. I'll have to dig out my references, but I believe some info about this weapon is in a couple of books put out by Man At Arms several years ago, titled something like "fighting arms in the age of sail" or something like that. My old mind is going.....

BUT, they were evidently used as a model for the U.S. Model 1860 naval cutlass that was still to be found in lockers aboard some American ships into WWII.

There's no confusion between the French and U.S. models, as the one under discussion had a sheet iron grip and large "soup ladle" guard, while the M-1860 had typical Cavalry saber mounts and a brass guard, with a spirally wrapped leather covered grip similar to the then current cavalry sabers. It's scabbard was composed of all black leather with copper rivets about every two inches or so.

Last edited by Shakethetrees; 24th January 2016 at 04:39 PM.
Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote