View Single Post
Old 21st May 2011, 06:11 PM   #12
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

[QUOTE=Per Lillelund Jensen
Very interesting is the lead shots for small caliber cannons, with iron or stone core. With a cal. of 45-47mm.

Hagebøsse/Hagenbusse shot in cal. from 10/11mm and up to 20/21mm.

Some very small lead balls with a diameter from 6,3-9mm confuses me? could it be from some form of canister or grapeshot??

Some of the shots still retain that little tap from when they where cast.

Shown on attached images is only a small portion of the over 700 shots found so far. Many of the shots is only fragments or deformed on impact. Most of them is believed to have been shot from the castle at the besiegers. When i get a chance to examine the rest in the near future, i might post a update if something interesting is found.

Regards

Per Lillelund[/QUOTE]

Hi Per and a rather late welcome to the community!

My computer was down for some five weeks so I could not reply any earlier.

Personally I tend to believe that the smallest lead balls actually were used as shot, firing a number of them at once in order to increase the effect. On the other hand, small caliber arquebuses (handguns) of ca. 9-11 mm were quite commonly in use in the 15h and early 16th centuries. Haquebuts (hagebosse) normally had calibers ranging from ca. 20-30 mm. All the bigger caliber balls should be assigned to lighter pieces of cannon.

Do you have more images, and in what museum are the objects?

Please do keep us updated on this interesting but seldom documented topic!

Finally, like 'Nando, I 'd like to recommend the following related link:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13586

Best,
Michael
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote