Thread: halberd
View Single Post
Old 27th June 2017, 03:28 AM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I'm with you Mark!
The realm of weaponry in the often rural and remote regions of New Spain resulted in many examples of crude, yet effectively executed representations of traditional weapons of Europe. As small villages evolved into larger towns around missions and presidios, the local figures desiring to promote legitimacy and political control often had such weaponry fashioned by their blacksmiths.
I think one of the most telling features of these crudely made items is that they clearly are not intended to fool anyone, nor necessarily function as combative weapons (though they likely could). They are simply items used probably ceremonially , which brings the other potential use in theatrical sense. It would be hard to describe the number of such items found in various contexts in colonial areas which have been proven to be just that.

I think that 'star' as often seen in these contexts is possibly a blacksmiths mark, probably used in similar connotation to European markings, and probably purloined among these groups much the same as those were. Here it seems used in more a 'motif', much as we have seen the 'sickle marks' in multiple or linear fashion.

For great insight into these kinds of Spanish Colonial ironwork:
"Southwestern Colonial Ironwork"
Marc Simmons & Frank Turley, 1980
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote