Thread: halberd
View Single Post
Old 24th June 2017, 10:04 PM   #7
M ELEY

I'm wondering if this could still be a legit piece, if not battle-worthy. Spanish colonial pikes, halberds and spontoons were crude at best, made by local blacksmiths in the colonies of Mexico and Central America. If you've seen some of the extremely primitive pieces from the American Revolution, you'll understand what I mean with crudity. This example could date to 19th c, where the colonies often used outdated forms of weaponry. This rough worked piece could have served a soldier as a ceremonial piece guarding some presideo in Old Mexico.
Note the odd star pattern stamp. This 'flower' pattern is often seen on Mexican spurs, espada ancha and even on the Brazilian cutlasses we have discussed in the past. I used to have a Mexican pike head with this exact star. Not saying I'm right, but just another possibility...

Would also point out that the socket, with its semi-open seam, fits the bill of many Span colonial pieces, including pike heads. Check out this old thread with colonial pike heads, noting the open seam. Also, the last pic on the thread has that mysterious * shape!

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18787

Last edited by M ELEY; 25th June 2017 at 04:37 AM.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote