View Single Post
Old 18th February 2020, 07:59 PM   #12
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
The hilt and scabbard are Greek indeed. Mounts usually indicate where a weapon was used.

Teodor
Possibly, but I don't think so... Traces of wootz, original Turkish poem, style of decoration, all make me favour more the Turkish origin.

I have noticed a trend/fashion to allocate most of the Ottoman weapons to Greece or the Balcans, like there were no swordsmiths in Turkey, when in fact there were a lot of them. And they were among the most skilled swordsmiths of their time, working wootz and the exceptionally elaborate Turkish Ribbon pattern welded blades.

And I noticed this not only in the discussions here but also with reputed auction houses. In fact, I acquired a few "Greek" or "Balkan" Ottoman swords and daggers with the silver mounts marked with the Turgha...

I also have major doubts about several of the pieces in Elgood's book "The Arms of Greece and her Balkan Neighbours in the Ottoman Period" where he proclaims the pieces are Greek or from the Balkans without providing the faintest sliver of evidence...
Now are we supposed to swallow that only because Elgood said so?!
Well, I am certainly not!

... but then again... who am I to criticize the work Elgood?!
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote