View Single Post
Old 11th December 2008, 10:49 PM   #8
Ed

George the Elder (his son, from whom I bought a lot of stuff was not really an armor guy, what he owned belonged to his Dad) owned 3 barbutes, one was in the "Corinthian" style and was the subject of the article I cited above. The cover of the Bulletin shows it with an ancient Corinthian helmet:

The famous "Lion Helmet", now at the Met, has a barbute under the decoration.

I have that book (actually inscribed by Dean) and have pored over it and every scrap of writing that has been published by Dean and von Kienbush who were the primary influences of Geo. Douglass Sr.'s collecting patterns. Geo. senior was not a scholar nor was he a collector of the first order so the mark that he has left is slight. In fact, it will be thru my cataloging of my collection and the provenence of the pieces that belonged to him that any record will exist of the fact of his collection once I snuff it.the barest hint of a reference to any piece of his. And given the quality of some of them, I am a bit surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Fantastic piece Ed!! and interesting material.
In looking at this, it is compelling to consider the provenance, which is likely to have been the subject, or at least included in the research for the article written by G.A.Douglass ( "The Barbute") in the classic 'Miscellany of Arms and Armor' written by the members of the Arms & Armor Club for Bashford Dean in 1927.
This work was limited to only 150 copies and was presented to Dean on his birthday in 1928, the same year he passed away. It is exciting to imagine these early names in collecting, meeting and discussing the venerable pieces, many of which reside permanantly in the Metropolitan Museum in New York.

In looking at these types of headgear never really thought of them being covered in fabric and decorated, but then of course the rest of the armour was , so that should have been considered.

I had seen copies of that 1927 work, but wonder if this item might have been mentioned in it.

All best regards,
Jim
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote