View Single Post
Old 5th December 2016, 05:16 PM   #165
Tim Simmons

Having had more time to study this new piece I am even more convinced that it is a fighting piece, as much as may be used in ceremonials. There are points to consider for this thinking.

It is stated by researchers that the line between actual violent function and ceremony is not absolute.

From the early to mid 20th century and indeed later. A Wayana village would consist of a few extended families with just enough outsiders brought in by what ever means to keep the gene pool healthy {probably not that different today}

A community without a strong social hierarchy and the need for artists to make lavish emblems of rank and distinction. A group of people with no standing army, though all males would constitute a warrior group when needed. Would not fight in a massed battle or hierarchicaly organised conflict. War would be feud and vendetta raids or ambush on individuals or small groups and possibly though I would think rare village on village. The technology and arsenal is sticks, stones, bones and what ever can be made into a weapon.

Looking at the two examples, starting with the really far too heavy tan coloured piece. The picture shows the only original peccary/boar tooth {the others were very similar but spit into too many pieces to restore} which is as taken from the porcine jaw natural and curved. This will not work as an impact weapon

Look at the teeth on the black painted club all have been ground, as no file marks can be found , to a shorter straight point which would function as an impact weapon. Sorry my pictures are not expert. This weapon could inflict nasty wounds, punctures, slashes and more. How would you like a pig tusk stuck in your head? it would be scary? hard to fight back, then just hit even harder with the wood. When all this is thought about I think it is a very uncommon find. You know where you can stick your ubiquitous, over priced Fijian Ulas, clubs and more.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote