View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:12 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Iain,
Interesting one indeed! The most intriguing thing is this pommel as noted, and with the ferrule or sleeve it is almost tempting to think of a doorknob, however I am not suggesting this is the case. In most of these remote regions however there are often unusual items incorporated in various decor and motif elements. I can think of examples of headgear in the Saharan areas in tribal instances using items of tablewear like spoons and forks.

What the geometric and floral motif on the pommel reminds me of is in certain pommels of kaskara from Darfur, Northern in particular, the Tama, the tribe of Ali Dinar. These radiating florals also remind me in turn of the pommel discs of tulwars. There are instances apparantly of the Darfur pommels using pounded out silver schillings and with the similar floral motif.

Naturally it seems odd to see these potential influences as far west as the Tuareg regions, but North Darfur hosted numerous heavily traded routes through not only El Fashir, its capital, but the trade city of Kobbei.
Perhaps, these might account for this apparant anomaly.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote