View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2009, 09:26 AM   #25
wilked aka Khun Deng

Migel,
No I haven't run across them, at least not named as a group. But in Central Mindanao I only got out into Maguindanao and and up around Marawi. But now that you mention it even the MILF I saw standing guard didn't have a blade visible. strange for a regular soldier, but even amongst a know group like the MILF most are not regular soldiers just young men with no opportunity and a family or clan allegiance that requires them to take a side.

What I have found is that the groupings there (family and clan) are still very insular so while some may not carry blades other groups only a short distance away may (the Lumad tribes still do). Having said that, the status of carrying a blade has long since been replaced by the weapon you carry, in an arguable priority order M-1, M2 carbine, BAR, AK-47 (rare and ammo difficult) M-16, M-16A2, M-60 MG, .45 cal and if you're REALLY somebody a M-4 (M-16 carbine) - note the guy in the bleached out camouflage top either a leader or related).

I'd assume from the history and pictures I've read that the Kampilan was the top of the heap for status when swords were the primary weapon as they usually incorporated a bearerbut if anyone has insight on that I'd be interested.

Dan
wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote