Thread: Dha Question
View Single Post
Old 16th March 2006, 09:15 PM   #12
spiral

Ive heard old Chindits {including my father.} use the term Dao as well as Dha for these. I think Dao is just Chinese for Knife though?

Anyway I digress.

Heres the mk.2 style although amore decorative versian than most. {link to Ians. on the old forum.} {I hope that is acceptable? if not contact me & I will happily delete it.} Incidently the firm DKW also made kukri.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Heres the steryotypical & commonest mk.3, So far the earlyist I have seen is dated 1945 has anyone seen one actualy dated 1944? The often used mk.2 scabbards dated 43 & 44 I think? But of course may be mistaken.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Heres a photo to show that Chindits also carried standard Brit. army Machetes. {Not all the Chindits were English, the also included Indians, Nigerions,Kenyans, Nepalis & many Burmese tribes.} They also of course often carried kukri.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Heres another Chindit Dao Which is niether mk.2 or 3, I wonder if it is the mk.1? But have been unable to find any photographic reference of the mk.1.

Does anyone have any information on the mk.1 ?It would be great to find out.

This one seems much more weapon based than the mk.2/3 with a very slim distaly tapered blade, so much so that although it has a 16 inch blade it only weights 14 oz. in total.

The scabbard is higher quality but similar style & the pillar stud & attachment loop is fitted to open the opposite way.

& just for fun heres my fathers cloth Chindit badge, {only issued to him when going on leave at the end of the war. And an officers silver theatre made cap badge. In this case "theatre made" means jewelery type quality. perhaps made in Burma?

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

& a copy of the letter that went with the badge that basicly reading between the lines says dont " Youve done a good & tough job but please dont mash up or kill to many people while on leave"

Hope thats not all to far removed from Ethnographic blades? To me it all fits together.

Spiral.
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote