View Single Post
Old 5th December 2005, 10:30 PM   #10
Rivkin

Default my controvercial reply

I tend to disagree. While I dislike "Revival" or "Reproduction" swords, they are not made for collectors. They are made for militant nationalists (showa being a great example) and souvenir lovers. Japanese swords (of whatever date and quality) will always be popular as long as japanese nationalism will be able to convince people that japanese culture is cool, completely unique, and their swords are absolutely the best. Today it is not a problem - from "kill bill", "last samurai" to your local karate dojo we have "senseis" spreading the word.
Caucasian kindjals made today (Asya & Kizlyar) are also not made for collectors. Chechen campaigns provide ample numbers of contracted officers looking for a souvenir. Nationalistic Cossack wannabes all want to have a “real shashka from Dagestan”. Polish nationalism is rather intact, and that’s why it is better to be a “polish sword” than a simple karabela.

Victorian reproductions are not popular due to the nearly complete destruction of european/english-american nationalism. What was the last time we had “enlish-american history month” or “white pride parade” with more than 50 attendees? And the massive outbreak of such nationalism aka third reich was accomponied by massive making of reproductions and other daggers, swords etc.
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote