View Single Post
Old 25th July 2015, 04:34 PM   #9
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
We get into a yes and no answer on items like these. let us say you have 5 of these primers in the souq. 2 get sold to goat farmers,1 to some rebel in the hills, and 2 to tourist. Is the piece tourist or not? These are functional.

Some of the pistols, knifes, and swords sold in the souq would not stand the first use without being seriously damaged or destroyed. Those particular items are obviously made for just decoration and sold to tourist.

Yemen daggers are another example of this. Men have worn these for years and I am sure the same craftsman that sold to them also sold to tourist.
Well well, first tourist items don't need to be flashy. You mix two things, tourist items from the end of the 19th or early 20th. These items were of a very good quality, we can even put in this category some late Qajar weapons. Tourist items nowadays are flashy and for half of them made in China. These powder flasks are interesting and I think this thread is very exciting. They look functionnal. They are functionnal for you. Not for me, but I'm always ready to change my mind with good arguments. To finish I post some tourist daggers, with exactly the decoration that you can find on these powder flasks.
Attached Images

Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote