View Single Post
Old 13th November 2022, 07:23 PM   #11
Peter Hudson

Dear JIM,

I admit I may have been confused as I havent recognised the picture of the guard from any of the references by kronckew even though they refer to my much earlier threads ...The problem is I think this is a late picture and may show not an Ivory hilt on the Khanjar but a white plastic hilt....thus the confusion to some degree... However the age of the picture can be ignored as the sword type is Sayf and although it looks warlike and has two sharp edges it is a pageantry item only. The date is irrelevant since dancing swords are part of the time honoured Funun which is everlasting as the traditions are passed down from father to son in Oman. Palace and Fort guards were issued dancing swords with which they could herald the ruler should he visit...as well as enacting the Razha dance and mimic sword fight contest. It should be remembered that the Terrs was inherrited to accompany the Sayf and added to
the curved Kitara.
It is remarkable how many parts of the swords were designed into these three items down the centuries as well as the use of a redesigned Royal Khanjar hilt adorning the Royal Khanjar and a very similar hilt fashioned for the ancient Sayf Yemaani.

Regards,
Peter Hudson.
Peter Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote