View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2006, 10:31 PM   #5
wolviex

I'm sorry I couldn't join this thread when it was on top, but I was terribly busy and had no time to make this entry.

Actually there is one outstanding source for Cossacks edged weapons, which is the battlefield of Beresteczko [Berestechko] (on Ukraine) and other nearest villages like Plaszowa [Plashova] and Ostrow [Ostrov] where Cossacks lose battle against Polish forces in July 1651. The battle, named after Beresteczko village, was a part of Polish-Cossacks war during Chmielnicki uprising. Polish forces with King Jan Casimir as a commander clashed with Cossacks army supported by Tartars and Turkish soldiers. This battle was a series of many different fights and episodes, including escaping of Tartars with Chan who took Chmielnicki with him as a hostage. The clue of the battle was a panic of Cossacks soldiers after the bad rumors, which caused their flee from the fortified camp across the river and swamps (near Ostrow), followed with sudden attack of Polish army. Many Cossacks get drowned in swamps, or died during the upcoming carnage.

From the 70's of the 20th century, Mr. Igor Svieschnikov started archaeological examination of the battlefield. The result was outstanding, because many items, bodies and other objects remained in swamp turf if quite good condition through 300 years. Excavation made possible the reconstruction of Cossacks attires and weapons from the period. There was excavated around 6000 items which belonged to Cossacks, rebellious peasants and craftsmen. The bodies found in the swamp laid on 40-60 cm under the surface, often one on another, many with sabres and bullets wounds.

For example, Mr’s Svieschnikov team has found over 200 shoes in relatively good condition! Many items let us reconstruct how Cossacks looked like. Cossack had attached to the belt wooden spoon in leather etui, often decorated, a knife, also in leather scabbard, powder-horn, slings for a sabre, small hook to attach sabre higher during march or when mounting a horse, and some leather bags with tools, money, flints etc.

Of course many of the excavated items are also weapons: sabres, war-hammers, guns etc. In the swamp and on the battlefield, there was found only 32 sabres (including 11 broken) and 1 sword (inf. from 1992 year)! Most sabres (14 objects) are of Hungarian-Polish type, still very popular in Poland during 1st half of the 17th century. There are also ordynkas (3), sabres with half-open handle with ‘L-shaped’ knuckle-guard (5) and many loose pieces of sabres and scabbards. There are also two pallashes.
Every sabre was descripted by Svieschnikov in his article “Bitwa pod Beresteczkiem 1651 r. w swietle zrodel historycznych i archeologicznych” [Battle of Bereteczko in 1651 in light of historical and archaeological sources] for ‘Muzealnictwo Wojskowe’, tome 5, 1992. Pictures below are from this article. Every sabre is given with measurements and history of excavation.
Enjoy.
Attached Images

wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote