View Single Post
Old 10th June 2011, 05:24 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Spanish Carbine ID

Hello all. I purchased this from a local gun show last year. This is a really unusual - but interesting - gun. I can't seem to pin a date as to it's original manufacture. The stock and brass mounts are definitely Spanish. Note: The lock on this gun was originally a standard type flintlock (like the original French/English style). The original lock mortise was filled with a wooden plug and re-inleted to accept the now miquelet lock. The lock is a sporting style with engraving all over. So, not a military item. (Hammer, top jaw, and screw are a replacement from the Riffle Shoppe) So, it appears obvious that this gun was originally in military use, and later (due to a broken/missing flintlock) recommissioned for civilian use. The plug and re-inletting was done very professionally - and back in the period. I know the Spanish military originally adopted the miquelet lock, changed to the standard type flintlock in the 1750's (I think) and then back to the miquelet about 1790. This gun has all the features of a musket. But it is carbine length. There is no sign that the barrel and stock were shortened in the past. In fact, it even has a lug for a bayonet on the lower part of the muzzle. Anyone have any research material that might be able to identify this carbine - in it's original form? Any help appreciated. Thanks, Rick.
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote