View Single Post
Old 29th July 2015, 04:29 PM   #14
CharlesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Thank you so much Jens!
I am looking forward to what we can develop on this thread which will attend to these interesting regimental and hybrid forms, which of course were concurrent to the traditional form discussed on your other thread

I think one instance (which I need to retrieve the source) where British soldiers were amazed at the incredible (though ghastly) effectiveness of the Indian swordsmen with their tulwars. To their astonishment, they soon discovered that these tulwars were often mounted with British blades, mostly from their now obsolete M1796 light cavalry sabres, but honed razor sharp.
I have seen a good number of these, one with an Osborne & Gunby blade, another, actually a M1788 blade in a 'Persian shamshir' style hilt, and of course others.
When British swords contractors began supplying swords to the native cavalry regiments, it is interesting to note that some of these, notably Bourne & Son, continued making the M1796 stirrup hilt type into the late 19th century due to their extreme favor by the Indian troopers .

The famed Wilkinson Sword Co. produced many swords for the Indian units, and if I recall they came in varied blade lengths, according to preferences in Bengal and Madras. These were also of another supplanted pattern, the M1822 light cavalry sabre, and in the Wilkinson catalogs known as the 'colonial style', with the three bar 'gothic ' style hilt.
A good number of these were made by MOLE, Robert Mole * Co. of Birmingham, in around the 1880s and were subcontractors to Wilkinson.
I have seen cast brass hilt of traditional tulwar form also produced by Mole.

In one of the books written by Wilkinson, there are listings of the type or pattern swords preferred by various units, and as mentioned. I need to find it!

Some of the units chose the M1853 pattern cavalry sword, and in a most interesting case, a number of these were produce by a private firm, the Rodwell Co. for one of the railways! Many of the large firms and organizations maintained their own security forces, such as with this case .

These are just opening thoughts recollected to get things going, and I really look forward to additions and observations. Meanwhile, to see if I can find those notes!!!

Jim mentioned in this thread a variety of British influences on Indian blades. Below are some examples of Indian blades and one Afghan one that borrow both from British characteristics/styles/makes that blade smiths sought to mimic, combined with hundreds of years old native influences.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote