View Single Post
Old 29th July 2015, 11:07 AM   #10
mrcjgscott

Here is a comparison shot between an early 1796 pattern light cavalry troopers sword (produced 1798) and an Indian Cavalry sword with three bar hilt.

Note the similarity in blade shape. Some of these early 1796 patterns were used in India in there own right by East India Company units, as were old stocks of the 1788 LC sword.
I have also seen original 1796 blades rehilted with the three bar hilt for Indian use.

However, the design proved so popular that 1796 style blades were reproduced under various guises right up until at least the First World War.

Robert Wilkinson Latham and I have shared various correspondence and images over the years. I shall ask him if he will give me permission to share some images from Wilkinson circa 1914, showing these 1796 style blades being finished.

There also similar British made blades, known as "Paget" pattern, which are not as beefy as the 1796 style, but do feature on many Indian cavalry swords with distinctive broad curved cutting blades which remained popular in Indian service, long after the much straighter and only slightly curved cut & thrust type sword became prevalent in UK service.
Attached Images

mrcjgscott is offline   Reply With Quote