View Single Post
Old 6th March 2016, 05:35 AM   #11
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
I believe the confusion arises by thinking that the iron fitted Syrian saifs are 19th century. This is problematic, as Syrian saifs from the 19th century whether in museums or in older pictures often shown with silver or bronze mounts. A good portion of the silver fitted saifs (even ones made according to the preference of the bedouins) often employ Ottoman proof marks. With a style that is very hard to differentiate from Ottoman styles if not for the hilt construction. While these iron sheet mounted saifs trace earliest to a photo of them being made in a Syrian work shop in 1936.

To classify this type and not confuse it with Syrian saifs mounted with older, Persian made iron mounts; This type of construction is usually made by cutting iron sheets into shape, very little work is done other than the shaping and welding of the sheets together to form a chape, carrying fittings and a locket. Some examples even have modern welding signs which is normal considering that these are still being made. Then koftgari is applied. The iron on these rusts very fast.

Here is an example of one being made (a very similar example):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U694BDSIISE

The older ones fitted with Persian mounts are different, often looking very similar to Persian examples but with Turkish style stitching on the scabbard and Syrian style hilts.

I'll post some pictures once I manage to look them up :-)
I'd think this needs to be a little better quantified.

The dress the saif sits in with the sheet steel type fittings and Kofrgari are post French Syrian conflicts of the early 20th century, and in most cases it is just the upper and lower fittings themselves that date to this period...the swords them selves should be taken in individual context as much as the remaining scabbard manufacture.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote