View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2021, 08:12 PM   #18
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Mike, there are many examples of late 19th century kris that have similar length blades. Here is an example that i let go of a couple of years ago that is also about 18 inches. Also not the similar manner in which the blade has etched to your example. This kris has many of the features of archaic keris (sogokan surrounded by flame design, etched lines down the blade that terminate in another flame-like motif, 5-luk blade that is half wavy, half straight). But it does not have the same level of craft put into these features that we tend to see on the archaic blades. In many ways when it comes to features it has far more in common with your archaic blade than your new kris does. But it is not an intermediate form, it is most certainly not any older than late 19th century.
I don't believe we were asking you to reveal the name of your consultant. What i was interested in was the actual information you consultant revealed that convinced you of the earlier age of your kris.
No worries. He was referring to pieces in his personnel collection and ones he has seen in museum. He attributes it to around 1800. Which coincides with my estimate, the plus or minus was mine as unfortunately we will never truly know and the minus part is suspect, as I am putting it in early 1800's. It would have been helpful if they signed their work or kept records like the Japanese did.
David, I have a similar one in my collection. Now I have to pull it out and see if it is the same one! There seem to be a very small degree of separation amongst us collectors. That type I believe is an attempt to copy the style of carving and construction of the archaic ones. The carving is not up to the standard of the older ones and almost seems like it was mechanically milled in as opposed to carved, it may or may not have a twist core usually not.
I can see the rooster. If you know how to read the carvings you can get a good idea of the origins of the blade. That is on my to do list as I cannot do it. There are some on this forum who can and the guy I talked to definitely can.
One thing I would really like to see is a catalog of blades that have been grouped together by area and school of craftsman. Think Japanese Bizen school etc. To my knowledge no such reference for Philippine blades exist.
As usual don't be afraid to offend me as I do not offend in scholarly discussion with legit disagreements. It helps us all learn.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote