Thread: clunker saif?
View Single Post
Old 31st January 2007, 12:55 PM   #5
FenrisWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook
Thank you Sir, for the reply.
After posting the pictures, I did see a similar example in an old 1978 Arms and armour review.
Felt somewhat embarrased not knowing the correct name!
I have the odd question;
Can you tell me what the projections perpendicular to the blade are for?
Is it possible to give an approximate age to this sword?
Does anyone know of a source of information about Nimchas?
(I don't like to be ignorant!!)
Would it be possible for someone to PM me with a Very approximat value?

( Purchasing it at auction, in a lot with cleaning rods and a walking stick has me wondering if I robbed myself or not!)
Thank you for your time,
Richard.
I will tell you what little I know, and hopefully Jim or one of the other board members who is more knowledgable (and has access to references I do not!) can fill in any blanks (and correct any mistakes!)

1. The projections are, I believe, an additional knuckleguard. I have seen one of these where they arced across and formed a complete ring, but most are flat.

2. Most of these that I've seen date to the mid-1800s. There were a couple of weapons forms that seemed to evolve and disappear very quickly.

3. This is one where the people with reference books will have to help you out. What little I know I've gleaned here and there, but I don't have any good sources.

One thing you can do is go do Google Image Search and look up 'nimcha'. Click on any pictures that resemble your sword and if the page is still up you may find some information that way.

4. I'll PM you on this one.
FenrisWolf is offline   Reply With Quote