View Single Post
Old 7th February 2011, 11:40 AM   #46
A. G. Maisey

Yes, Solo work is certainly engraved, even though we mostly see Solo embossed pendoks, these are made for Solo, not made in Solo, the reason being purely economic, as even the lowest priced Solo engraved pendok is quite expensive.

I suspect that we're possibly getting a little bit of confusion in terminology here Tunggulametung. The Banyumas technique that I have referred to as "engraved", or "incised", you may well be thinking of in terms of "embossed".

I have seen all three of these techniques carried out. Engraving uses gravers --- little chisels --- driven by hand and hammer. Embossing uses punches driven by hammer. The Banyumas technique uses a blunt scriber that is drawn over the face of the metal and leaves a line, it does not remove metal, but leaves an impressed line.To my knowledge this technique has not been used commercially for a very long time.

However, all of this is neither here nor there:- the work on the hilt looks like Banyumas pendok work, no matter how it was done. The embossing in the cecekan panel has obviously been executed by a different technique, and it is not this work that is under discussion, but the ornamentation on the planes.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote