View Single Post
Old 6th September 2014, 09:25 AM   #30
spiral

This axe was the standard felling pattern in the UK Alan, nothing customised or special about it, It does what I ask of it though, better than modern axes sold for splitting.

In the UK we don't come across many axes that weight 7lb but are only a quarter inch thick 2 inches back from the edge. Here general purpose axes are thicker than that, {still concave of course.}Strangely in England being a 7lb Elwell it value is similar to your old bayonet! There sought after here! By both collectors & users!

I must admit the old American axes you mention & the custom Ozzie ones Ive never seen in the UK. Ill keep my eyes open for them! I guess Id have to search them out though... & any felling I do nowadays I only do with a chainsaw, so that's probably not much use to me, they look nice though & the custom handle looks usefull.

So when re.handled, Ill carry on using my 118 year old 7lb English pattern generic felling axe, {for splitting!}

Yes it does get tricky Driftwood, I have a couple of 200 year old plus rather exotic kukri that I haven't tested, but there of the reach out & touch someone with the sharpness rather than chopping weapons. But I don't intend to use them, I have others I can use.

spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote