Thread: unusual keris
View Single Post
Old 27th December 2016, 12:37 PM   #11
kai

Hello David,

Quote:
Other opinions might vary, but i would argue that there is no such thing as a non-metal keris. The leather objects used for dance and theatrical purposes are not keris, they are, as you have noted, a "prop made from leather". I suspect that this is indeed some kind of prop for theatrical purposes. Again, that does not discount it from being somebody's family pusaka, but it is not a keris IMHO.
No doubt, the intrinsic value/power is based on the iron/steel blade of any keris (noting a few exceptions made from bronze).

However, if a keris performs as a culturally accepted "prop" in a ceremonial setting of the culture, say, a wedding, one might also argue that it is a real keris, isn't it?

Donny, I'd love to hear any updates on its material. If wood, it seems to have received some surface treatment to make it look more like a corroded metal blade; is the gonjo separate or just indicated by an incision? One option would be to use some sandpaper to remove any surface treatment at the end of the pesi to get a glimpse of the base material?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote