View Single Post
Old 11th September 2014, 11:53 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is indeed an anomaly, and as been well observed, the guard pattern of the hilt remarkably favors the British M1853 cavalry sabre. As noted, the scabbard seems entirely Saharan with the central depression, as well as some of the tooling designs resembling Tuareg style motif.
Those carry flaps are also typically seen on Tuareg scabbards.

The hilt, while resembling the British pattern, is not of the characteristic standard, and seems one of the colonially produced examples. I think of these from I believe Rodwell & Co. who produced these model swords for the police or security forces of a railway Co (I think it was Baruda).
These hilts could easily have entered the North African sphere during the post Mahdiyya condominium and how they might have diffused further is anybodys guess.
It is most uncommon to see this kind of a hilt on a Saharan sword, so very incongruent with the Tuareg style scabbard. I would point out that there were curved takouba known as aljuinar. I have also seen these with Mole blades (Birmingham England),

The blade is absolutely native and the raised central ridge also atypical for Sahara, while well known in Ethiopia (much like the 'gile' blade) and the Maasai seme.

Interesting to say the least! and an attractive sabre, apparently with some stories to tell.

*side note re: M1853 British cavalry swords.......many of these were supplied to the Confederate States in the Civil War through Isaac & Co. in London. Also many of the pattern were produced for native cavalry regiments in India.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote