Thread: hilt material ?
View Single Post
Old 13th January 2010, 01:31 AM   #79
Gustav

The second part.

It seems to be clear, there is an iconographic ensemble, and there are many hilts which are bearing the complete ensemble. In the book by J.Greffioz on hilts you can find one on page 44, which seems to have some age, and another on page 56.

Some details are more clearly visible in Sajens example, page 2 in this thread.

This ensemble contains roughly estimated (from top to toe): sometimes more, sometimes less clear "visor" with crown elements, two pairs of wings, two emblems with radiant rays ("sun") and draperie at the base.

Interesting are the wings. There are clearly visible "dragon" wings, but also, abowe them, "normal" wings with feathers. Is there a possibility, those wings are the substitute for the complete dragon and winged horse depiction on a usual landhian pulasir hilt?

An interesting "in between" form from an older thread (I deeply apologise for using these pics), with a complete horse (instead of the front sun), the dragon wings behind the horse's wings, and the sun on the back of the hilt (see the images). There are also draperies at the base (like on Dannys hilt), and something resembling a crown with a central, vertical band on the "visor", which also occurs on all examples of the complete ensemble of Danny's.

The different elements are of course the arrow (a coat of arms emblem?) and the rudimental epaulets, and the "chinese" meander at the same base, which (very interesting!) changes almost to a draperie at the back, below the sun.

After this I suppose, there could be a possibility, that Dannys Ensemble as such were established later then landhian pulasir, becouse of dissolving of certain elements (the bodys of dragon and horse, if they are meant at all ), and becouse of mixing of elements. Also I think, there is a undeniable european influence in this hilt.
Attached Images

Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote