View Single Post
Old 15th April 2009, 03:29 PM   #21
migueldiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonoy Tan
I suspect that there was hardly any so called "tourist" blades during the period of Spanish “rule” - because the tourist market and the "tourism industry" was not yet developed. Furthermore, almost every Filipino household probably owned a bladed weapon - pointed or not. And even if a pointed weapon was outlawed, it did not stop anybody (including the lowlanders paying tribute to the colonial government) from owning and keeping one at home (i.e. not brought out in public).

Thus, the likely answer to your question is "No".
Nonoy, thanks!

If I may add a point or two in support of that, the Leyte-Samar sundang (also known as garab or talibon in some parts of those Visayan islands) is for instance configured that way for a reason.

Like the sagging (i.e., convex) shape of the cutting edge is supposed to split more efficiently a coconut nut

And then the pointy tip was designed to scoop out the copra [dried coconut kernel] efficiently ... like what the tourist in the pic below is trying to learn.

And then the (short) length of the sundang/garab/talibon was deliberate -- that was done so that the coconut farmer need not spread his arms farther apart than necessary, while extracting the copra from the shell.

And so even if pointed bolos were outlawed then, in many instances and for very practical reasons, the prohibition simply couldn't had been followed.
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote