View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:49 PM   #9
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I favor that this takouba has a 14th or 15th century European blade based upon the nature of the marks and the appearance of the background steel.

I have known so many owners certain they had a medieval European blade remounted as a kaskara or takouba. This is the first one, albeit based upon pictures, that I believe in. So my certainty in dismissing these claims on general principal and following the experience of Briggs is now broken.

...Unless it is a brilliant forgery targeted to set me drooling all over myself, but I do not think so.
Just to add to this... those that know my history with takouba will know I am usually the first to chuck out any ideas of medieval blades and extremely critical of blade marks and perhaps overly prone to suggesting native copies. To be honest I bought this piece with the vague hopes the blade might be 17th century at best. To that end I am not interested dates just for the sake of dates, if anyone really wants to know I bought this because of the pommel...

However I have to say, even with relatively limited experience this one is different, in look, feel and presence.

I'm still intrigued by the second mark, the little sword like one...

Last edited by Iain; 23rd December 2011 at 12:30 AM.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote