View Single Post
Old 14th January 2019, 06:03 PM   #9
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
...What an interesting, and curious roman style lock. And LARGE !! LOL ...
Early locks could be large, Rick; nothing strange here, i guess !

Quote:
The frizzen design with it's unusual insert is a mystery. Never seen one like it. But there is a curve to the insert, so it was made to be struck by a flint. But the insert is somewhat narrow in relation to the width of the frizzen face...
I still think there was an original intention in this set up. Look at the insert;with its tapering shape it appears to be built with removable features, rather than inserted on a permanent basis.

Quote:
... Makes me wonder if the inset was added latter for use with a flint pawl (chunk of flint) ...
So that when the frizzen (battery) face is worn out by multiple shots, you replace the 'sliding tab'. James D. Lavin mentions this principle in his SPANISH FIREARMS, only with a distinct configuration (pag.160). Three details to support such reasoning are: the striking face tab that portrudes from its base; the battery that is unusually thick, with a depth to allow for the insertion of the tab; and the configuration of the face front, with a motif on the top consistent with that of the battery front.

Quote:
...p.s. If you ever decide it needs a new home, keep me in mind. LOL ...
Duly noted

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote