View Single Post
Old 1st April 2023, 05:08 AM   #77
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent View Post
Jim, thank you for your learned insights here.

Unfortunatly I cannot fully read the date on this Guom example... 17 is there and a partial 0.

The Kamer stamp is partial too... looks like "H".

There are numerous other European stamps to the blade on both sides, Equal armed crosses at each end, effectively encapsulating the date markings. There are crescent symbols that are perhaps "moons" and some other hints of markings I've yet to reveal under the thick old build up on the blade.

Length, blade is 64cms.
When considering this Preanger Gobang I had many years ago with a blade just under 51cm long, it is easy to see how the blades were trimmed to fit native applications.
Further to this, the "H" on the Guom is not large like the "A" on the Gobang and it is below the VOC markings, not above.
What all the orientation means or leads to, I cannot say.

Gavin

Thanks so much Gav!
This is really interesting and I wish we could see the blade to see these makings in configuration as this sounds like it could be an anomaly as far as VOC blades.
If I recall there were variations in the placement of the kamer initial, the A for Amsterdam was most common; with Rotterdam and Middelburg next in commonality. I cannot say I have ever seen an 'H' which may well be for Hoorn.

Of the six chambers , in the 18th c. Hoorn lost its importance as a port city, but retained its place as a regional trade center for localities there. No idea how such subordination might apply, but thought worth noting.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote