Thread: Kris #3
View Single Post
Old 15th December 2005, 06:52 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nechesh
Jose, given the smaller size and the straigth line of the gangya, couldn't this be a somewhat older kris than that?
You bring up a good point, Nechesh. Although this is one mark of an early kris according to Cato, I have seen a few 17th century ones that do not have straight gangas. Thus I question this assumption as being a definitive mark of older Moro kris, although any one characteristic by itself is not as definitive as several features, like, for example, if this kris also had a smaller head and the blade were smaller as well. From what I have seen and according to what Cato says, the jungayan pommel like this one developed by about the late 19th century and most were Tausug or at least in use in the Sulu Sultanate.

By the way, I also have an early 17th century kris that has a small head, smaller thinner blade with elongated waves (luk or luks), mechanical damascus central panel, and deep chiseling at the base of the blade (thanks Rsword ). Everything screams 17th century except one thing - the ganga - which is not straight. (May post pictures one day of it and the scabbard I made for it when I get the opportunity take pictures of it ).

The waves on this kris are not the type seen on early Moro kris, although it is possible that the blade is older than the pommel.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote