View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2005, 04:45 PM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Wow! Michal , outstanding resources! Now thats what I'm talkin' about!!
Seriously, excellent resources for the study of these markings. It does seem that the German journals carry far more subjective studies concerning the use of the markings that have been carried on trade blades for so many centuries.

Very well placed additions as well Jan!

I think it is great that you guys offer this kind of assistance as the subject matter here is only ever touched on in extremely esoteric resources, and as mentioned these are seldom available here in the west, and then there is for many of us the language barrier. It is very kind for you to offer translating help.

Fromhold,
I think it you have chosen a fascinating topic, but certainly a formidable one. I am unclear on your thesis though. Your title "The Meaning and Symbolism of the Sword in Medieval Society" ...are you focused on the sword as a symbolic and traditional weapon, or is the digression to the assorted markings and mottos etc. the actual focus? The numerous books by Ewart Oakeshott
carry probably the most interesting treatment of the sword itself and its importance in chivalry, but there are a number of other titles that describe similar perspective. His books also include the earlier periods which are key as well.

The topic of the markings, mottoes and certain blade motif is vast and seldom focused on in most resources on weapons subjectively, except in the references already presented and occasional others equally esoteric. If you are categorically collecting examples of these, it seems most are noted in either footnotes or captions in the catalogs of museums, collections, auctions etc. and of course in the reference titles we often refer to here.
As far as the development, meaning and application of these noted examples, there has always been casual speculation and discussion, but seldom conclusive material. Again, Oakeshott probably has the best perspective on these in his titles, especially "The Archaeology of Weapons".

Check our search feature for key topics, and titles. We try to use references whenever possible so that further research can be done by those so interested in a certain topic and often these titles can be obtained through interlibrary loan. As always, please feel free to contact via PM, and we can all help with specific questions. Very much looking forward to progress on your work!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote