View Single Post
Old 5th June 2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Neil

Great topic. I am in the process of putting together a nice kung fu practice spear with an antique head on it now.

Here are my thoughts on your topics.

Shafts - I think Timo had a lot of good info. Also, I have seen in several period photos that waxwood appeared to be the wood being used for "commoners" spear shafts. I bet the use of one material or another was also relative availability in the area. It may also have been relative to your pocketbook so to speak. I see fancier pole arms with well finished shafts, while more village like spears have functionally finished/bumpy surfaced staffs like many Chinese martial art practitioners use today. A nice mid thickness waxwood staff has both the strength and potential flex to absorb impact shock rather than break. That is what I am using on my spear and have had good results practicing with them for years.

Butt spikes- I have seen them on other pole arm examples but not spears. I would not count it out though. From my experience variability seems to be the norm in Chinese weapons.

Length- Back to the variation being the norm comment. As you can see in the photos there are long, short, and in between.

Tassels- Good question. I have seen photos of them in use from late Qing through WW2

Pictures - 1. Presented as confiscated weapons from "Manchrian bandits". 2. I think I pulled this off a Chinese site. Looks like Warlord era to me or Spear Society. Could be wrong.
Attached Images

Last edited by Neil; 5th June 2013 at 05:54 PM.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote