View Single Post
Old 11th July 2018, 09:55 AM   #22
colin henshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberl
Sorry not to have posted this warning sooner.

After studying my sword closely and comparing it with known authentic ribbon hilts I concluded that it was a beautifully made reproduction.

I returned it to the dealer who did not dispute my conclusions. I learned very recently that it was sold on to another collector to whom I have explained my reasoning.

First, it is simply more than coincidental to find two swords, purportedly made in the 17th Century, with the names of different makers -- one of whom is unknown -- that are identical in every respect.

Second, it is also more than coincidental that neither sword shows any marks of use, no dings or dents, which a real ribbon hilt has in abundance.

Handling the one sword in comparison with other, authentic, swords offers the "feeling" that it just isn't right.

I learned later that my sword came through an English dealer who has a reputation for distributing iffy pieces.

In my case at least its purchase was a matter of enthusiasm overcoming good sense because my firm belief now is that both swords were not made in the 1600s but in the late 1900s or early 2000s.
Interesting. Not my area, but I've always admired Scottish broadswords and backswords. The two swords illustrated in this thread seem in an unusually good state of preservation compared to examples I have seen in museums. Looking forward to reading what other forumites with more knowledge have to say...
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote