View Single Post
Old 1st March 2012, 11:43 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarnight
Many thanks for your comments.

Im having to clear out a few other items to keep this one though!!

A worthy exchange I would say!!!
These are very much my dream swords as well, and quite honestly the few examples I have seen of this 17th century form were in pretty rough shape.
The hilt style conforms to examples C4 and C4a ("British Basket Hilted Swords" Dr. Cyril Mazansky, 2005, p.71) and the disc as well as the connecting 'S' shape are distinctive features of these 'ribbon hilts'. It seems these typically will date in 1670s-1690s, and the Solingen blade form is characteristic with central triple fullers and short parallel fullers at either side.
In most cases, these blades seem to carry the familiar 'ANDREA FERARA' wording, so this one is of course quite interesting. This particular name does not occur in any of the regularly consulted references, however it seems to me that German surnames can vary considerably within the same family group as well of course as the spellings. This blade seems an outstanding example of the 'Grosse Schotten' type blades, distinctly produced by Solingen makers for thier Scottish clients, as large formidable broadswords for the Scots.
I personally have always considered the 'Andrea Ferara' as a kind of 'brand' labeling this style rather than being intended to spuriously represent a maker. This is discussed in the 'trademarks ' thread.
It would seem quite reasonable for a maker to use his name in place of this typically used term, and it would be great if we could find some record of him to better establish period for the sword.

While the sword itself is in accord with the forementioned period, it seems to me that the grip is more in the style of later British hilts using rayskin or fishskin with Turks heads and wire wrap. While some British 'mortuary' swords of the 17th century period seem to have had these type grips, most Scottish hilts used leather grips. It is my view that this sword may well have been refurbished for an officer in a Highland regiment later in the 18th century, or of course remains the possibility of even later refurbishing. In any case the blade and hilt seem homogenous.

This is a beautiful example, and without a doubt with a profound history which piques my own Highland ancestry!! and a Drambuie salute to this proud Scottish warrior!!!

Nicely done, and thank you so much for sharing it here,

All the best,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 2nd March 2012 at 01:09 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote