View Single Post
Old 9th December 2008, 10:58 PM   #64
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Spunjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
sorry fernando,...
No need to be sorry Iam not a Kali fan ... didn't even know what it was, before having read about it in that website.

Quote:
... from what pigafetta described, magellan was pretty much bum rushed, nothing fancy. i understand there's a lot of romanticism involved to give the art some sort of history, ...
Romanticism is a spice found everywhere; Also Pigafetta didn't leave his credits with allien hands:
"fin che lo specchio, il lume, el conforto e la vera guida nostra ammazzarono".

Quote:
... but truth is more important ...
Naturally; but who knows the truth ? There is only one version, that of Pigafetta, which may as well be a distorted one. How far was he from Magalhães when they knocked him down; how was his mind clear and how much was he (or not) interested to golden the pill, when he later related what has happened ?
On the other hand, nothing could avoid that Magalhães's agony, or virtual death, was followed by a triumphant decapitation, which was a current fashion. Was Pigafetta still close enough to see it, in case it has happened ?
As i said in my previous posting, even recent scholars who have been gathering all possible documentation, do not consider Magalhães death cause as established; and certainly they are aware of Pigafetta's assumed relate.

Fernando

Last edited by fernando; 9th December 2008 at 11:15 PM. Reason: spell
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote