View Single Post
Old 11th April 2005, 11:39 PM   #28
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
It's late and I don't have much time to respond.

Rick: Yes, the hilt on that cut point bolo looks similar to the one I show, although mine is minus the spiral groove and the handle is made of wood not caribou horn. With the provenance you have, it must be almost certainly from the Philippines. Is the blade the usual V-grind or chisel ground?

I think you and others have effectively established that this general style of knife existed in the Philippines, and that was known before the present post and is not really an issue. The question comes down to whether this is a predominantly Spanish style or a Philippine style. If it is unique to the Philippines, then I need look no further. If the style is predominantly Spanish, and given the military inscription in Spanish that may be a logical deduction, then the possibilities are much broader. That's why I'm looking carefully at the particular characteristics to see if they match common experiences with other Philippine knives of this variety. If not, it could be an uncommon example of a Filipino knife, or an example from somewhere else in the former Spanish Empire. BTW, I have had no success in tracking down the regimental number.
Ian.
Hi Ian , my bolo is definitely chisel ground in that it has a flat side right to the edge , the other side has more like a gentle curve to edge of the the flat side rather than the angular Visayan style of edge .

That would still be chisel ground , no ?

Is there any literature we know of on the work knives of Old Spain ?

Rick

Last edited by Rick; 11th April 2005 at 11:51 PM.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote