View Single Post
Old 4th March 2015, 02:27 AM   #12
A. G. Maisey

Yes, David, of course you are correct if we consider this question from the perspective of people who have little or no knowledge of the keris, but this same problem exists in probably every field involving art and collectables.

I also collect paper weights. The very best of the current paper weights produced in China will fool anybody but a fully qualified expert into thinking they've got Murano or Caithness, when in fact they've got Beijing.

The protection against being duped?

Learn.

Learn how?

You can never ever get enough field experience, and this does not come easily, nor cheaply.

In respect of restriction on the use of gold in Jawa, there are a lot of perspectives from which to consider this question.

I think we all know the grant of battle honours by Sultan Agung after the Pati conflict, so although there may not have been a specific prohibition in place that prevented somebody not granted this honour to have a keris with a similar kinatah motif, within the context of court wear it simply would not have been done, because the honour had not been given.

Think in terms of a present day civilian creating his own Victoria Cross and then wearing it to a Royal Reception with Her Majesty. Just not going to happen.

What would have happened if it had been done would probably have involved blood and pain.

But that's within the context of the court. How about if a wealthy Arab merchant living in the world outside the court created a look-a-like a few years later? I sincerely doubt that anything untoward would have happened to him.

So with a question like this, we need to consider not just "Jawa", but the specific part of Jawa, the specific time, the specific people involved, the specific ruler. All relevant aspects of the question need to be considered on a case by case basis. We cannot generalise.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote