View Single Post
Old 5th December 2015, 05:33 PM   #6
rickystl

Hi Estcrh.
What an interesting question, and topic for discussion. I've never really thought of it till now. But you're right. I've seen only a handful or less of photos of matchlocks that can be identified as Ottoman. We know from historical records that the matcklocks were used by the Ottomans in large quantities. But as you ask: Where did they go? I don't know. A really good question. Yes, you would think more examples would still exist. I can't even come up with a good theory. LOL.
We know the Ottomans adopted the flintlock, in miquelet form very early after it's introduction. That could account for some of the lack of matchlock specimens today. And converting matchlocks to miquelet may account for some more. And most of the Ottoman Empire firearms I've seen in person or photos all seem to be from the 19th or late 18th Century. So that might also be taken into account. But all that doesn't really answer the question of why SO FEW Ottoman matchlock specimens remain today. You have my brain tied in knots trying to come up with a logical answer. Hmmmmm.
One thing interesting to note about these matchlocks: Wheather Ottoman, Arab, Indian, etc., the trigger/bar to serpentine mechanism are virtually identical on every specimen I've seen. I've never seen one of these guns with a late style European or Japanese style "snapping" matchlock mechanism. So that style must have been consider reliable enough to become standardized accross the Empire.
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote